Amazing Stuff

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Antique Silverware Molds DONE! Vignette, Tutorial and project rating...

Remember this? (Ballard Design Catalog with vignette of Antique Silverware Molds)
And this sneak peek post?



 Well here it is! I finally finished them! (And also decided to copy the vignette in the catalog too)



Before I get started on the Tutorial I decided to do something unique: 

PROJECT RATING!!
So here goes!
Project level--      EXTREMELY HARD
Clean Factor--  VERY MESSY
Cheapness Factor-- VERY CHEAP $5.50 for a large box of air dry clay
Mental Soundness of person attempting this project--  COMPLETELY OUT OF HER MIND
Final Result--   Absolutely gorgeous and TOTALLY worth it.
Chance of project happening again-- ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT, NO!

Supplies are in the pic above. I used air dry clay (for the first time), gray craft paint, white craft paint, sponge brush, small brush, straight edge or knife to cut the molds in a rectangle shape.
 
So, now that that lovely rating is out of the way, TUTORIAL here we come!

Start out by making a wide slab of clay. (figure out the size of your silverware you will use to make impressions and add about an inch on all sides)

Then you place the utensil on the clay and press in to make an indentation for the negative mold.
Lift up, (Clay will come up onto the utensil when lifting, this is a tricky part.)
Try to put the lumps of clay that are stuck to utensil back into the spot they came out of.

****3-1-2011~ I had a wonderful comment from a potter! You can use a little PAM to keep it from sticking-this is a WONDERFUL tip and will help alot!***

Now you will smooth the utensil impression until it resembles the utensil to your liking.
A slightly damp finger works best.
Don't worry if it's not perfect, the little lines and bumps add character and leave a spot for the white paint to soak in when you are painting it.

For the positive mold, set the utensil on top of your piece of clay.
Push little chunks of clay under the utensil where it does not meet the clay.
Once you have filled it all in, push down very lightly to leave a small impression.
Remember, you want this one to be raised so do not push it below the level of the clay slab you are working with.
Before you lift the utensil up, smooth all the way around it with your finger, removing and extra clumps of clay.
The clay beneath the utensil should be in the shape of the utensil now.
Carefully lift the utensil of, replacing any clay lumps that are stuck on the utensil.
Smooth the raised, utensil shaped area.

SORRY IF THESE DIRECTIONS ARE CONFUSING! IT'S A LITTLE HARD TO DESCRIBE.

Continue this process with a positive and negative clay slab for a fork, knife and spoon.

Now if there are any marks you don't like just smooth them out.
Once you are happy with it you can set it somewhere to dry where it won't be disturbed for about a week.
(Mine took a week to dry)


They may develop some cracks while drying, no worries, just smooth a little more clay into the cracks as shown below.

DO NOT try moving the molds while they are drying- they will break in half.




The pic below shows my mended knife and fork molds. Good as new!


Once your molds have dried COMPLETELY- about a week, you can start the painting.
Start with a medium gray craft paint and use a foam brush to coat each mold, sides and top.
You will need to do a second coat.

Once the gray is dry you mix a little white craft paint with some water.
1 part paint to 3 parts water works well.
(It does not take much of this mixture to do all of the molds.)

Lightly brush the watered down white paint on the top and sides of the mold.
Take a napkin or rag and start dabbing and wiping the white paint mixture off gently.
You can leave some areas more concentrated with white if you like.
This part of the painting is really easy because it is a matter of wiping until you like how it looks.
If you get too much white on just repaint the gray and start over. Easy Peasy.

(I would suggest painting 1/4 of the mold at a time and then wiping the excess off before going onto the next section, this way the paint won't dry  before you start wiping it.)



Side view of whitewashed mold.


The last step is to take a small brush and lightly brush a thin line of gray around the utensil shape to highlight it. (Shown below)



In the pic below the top 3 molds have been highlighted with the gray and the bottom 2 molds have not been done yet. Can you tell the subtle difference? It just makes the shape of the silverware pop a little.



 Finished pile of Knockoff Ballard Design Antique Silverware Molds. Looove them!



On my wall below :)



Love the rough textures and worn finish!



 Since I went to the trouble of  making the molds, I figured I may as well go the whole nine yards and copy the whole vignette in their catalog


It makes me happy!



 Again, the vignette on my dining room wall below-


And the Ballard catalog below-

What are your thoughts?

Now that it is done I am so happy with it! In the process, not so much! It sat on my kitchen counter in the way for a week and a half. Not to mention a few of the molds breaking after they were all finished. Luckily I was able to glue them and the breaks just kind of blend in with the worn patina.

A few suggestions:

*Maybe try using a baked clay so they are not as breakable.(no waiting a week for them to dry either)

* Consider affixing a hanger to the back of the mold while the clay is still wet. This way you don't have to figure out how to hang it up once it's hard and dry.


I would absolutely love to see them if anyone is brave enough to try this tutorial!

Linking:
DIY Club



Todays Creative Blog


PhotobucketUndertheTableandDreaming
The Lettered Cottage



Making
The DIY Show OffA Marvelous Mess

PhotobucketPhotobucketLINKPARTYBUTTON
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Show and Tell GreenMake it Yours @ My Backyard Edenthis blessed nestPhotobucketCreations by Kara
Olivia Renn Beach Cottage Good Life WednesdaysBeyond The Picket Fence
Link up your latest project every Wednesday on the Elle Belle Creative Your Way Wednesday link party!


Transformation Thursday


Black Kats Design


a href="http://www.houseofhepworths.com">IhookedupwithHoHlamespice

41 comments:

  1. This turned out really neat! Real rustic chic...is that even exists haha. I like it!

    PS, I'm doing my first ever giveaway on my blog and I'd love for you to come enter! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-first-giveaway-and-introducing-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome -- you are a rock star! Love this!
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look awesome! I tried to make my own before I saw your tutorial and they didn't work :( I used air dry clay too, but it was the stuff from the children's isle at the craft store, I think if I used some like you've used it might work! I think I'll have to give it another shot! Thanks for the great tut!!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look absolutely fabulous. I love them. Your vignette is stunning. Great job and wonderful tutorial. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, how'd you do that! gifted, gifted...whoo hoo! you knocked out the Ballard!

    http://www.diyandmore.com/?p=264

    ReplyDelete
  6. This rocks! You totally pulled off this knock-off! Love it! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com today. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea. I don't think I am brave enough to try it. lol. I'm your newest follower. I would love it if you linked your project up to my link party.
    More The Merrier Monday.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy Cuteness!!! You are a woman of determination!!! I found your blog through Someday Crafts, and will now be a faithful follower! Amazing! Your wall looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGosh! I love this idea! Great job! I have a sneak peak feature linking back to you scheduled for tomorrow morning!

    Denise
    Extreme Personal Measures

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holey MOLEY that is goregous. I am totally inspired by this (and I bet I won't be the only one!!). I would love it if you would link this up to my blog party, A Marvelous Mess. At each party I will pick one project to feature on my sidebar for a week!! Here is the link: http://marvelouslymessy.blogspot.com/2011/02/marvelous-mess-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so flippin' clever! I love this and thank you for being honest about what you're getting into! JenT

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look amazing, your patience certainly paid off! The tutorial is great, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is so cool!
    You must be one patient lady :)
    Fabulous!
    Thanks for linking!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  14. holy *molds*!!!!

    these are super.

    incredible job. i guess i'm the only one in blogland who has yet to see the ballard's catalog...so this is wonderful to see!!!

    HAPPY MARCH!
    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing I would never try that. First of all I wouldn't even know how to start it.

    Love the outcome

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea! I am a potter and I will try this with regular clay that I fire!! A little tip - coat any piece that is to be put into or onto clay with a little PAM and No sticking will occur! melin54@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    gorgeous photos!
    happy day!
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  18. they look like the real deal. great job! Thanks for sharing this at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. great job on your knockoff design..looks as good as the catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. amazing project to take on!!! They came out great. Very impressive.

    I stopped by from Get Your Craft On at TCB.


    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on a job well done! That's amazing--and what a wonderful vignette you made with it on your wall. I'm so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW! You are impressive! Those are amazing...you did a great job. Well worth all the effort

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love, love, loved them when I saw them in the Ballard Designs Catalog. Loved them even more when I saw your post! Good job! i'm very impressed with your creativity and persistence.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was lusting after these in the catalog! You rock. I bet the pam trick will make it so much easier. I think I am going to try it....am I crazy?!?!

    www.kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks fabulous! Thanks for letting us in on the Pam secret! Thanks for linking up to Krafty Kat this week!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello! I found you on Thrifty Thursday. This project is awesome!! Thank you for sharing it.

    I'm now following your blog and looking forward to reading more.
    Jan at Jewelry4Change
    http://www.jewelry4change.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this idea! I am not creative and Love blogs that help me decorate! Thanks for the idea! I’m a new follower Happy Thursday!! I would love for you to stop and take a look at my blog as well! Thanks!
    http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your project looks fabulous! I love the way they turned out!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the project, love the tutorial! You did a great job! I would be thrilled if you stopped by my Commercial Break Thursday at http://www.suzyssitcom.com and link this project!

    suzy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really cute! i want to try this in my kitchen. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just wanted to let you know that I featured this project on my blog Marvelously Messy. Go to this link to see it and get your button if you'd like:
    http://marvelouslymessy.blogspot.com/2011/03/marvelous-mess-2-feature-chaps.html

    Thanks for linking up and be sure to come back next Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. so happy you linked this up to the SPRING FLING! like i said earlier, incredible job. ;)

    happy weekend.
    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! When I saw these in Ballard not too long ago, I wondered how long it would be until I saw it being done in blogland! You did great! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think I deleted my comment (those word verifications get me every time. lol!). So if this is x 2 - sorry!

    I love your DIY creativity! I'm including a link in this week's highlights. Thank you so much for sharing in the DIY Project Parade, K. I love coming over here to see what you're up to! ;)

    Have a wonderful week!
    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is definitely a Wow! Lot of steps and work, but the results and price are wonderful. Love the whole vignette. Thanks for joining WUW!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So cool ... and, I love the entire grouping. Thanks for the inspiration! *Becca*

    www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I absolutely love it but, I could never, ever attempt it. You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow! Another amazing idea from you. You are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I was SO hoping somebody would come up with a knock off version. You are a GENIUS! I am your latest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete